After becoming informed, you can keep on supporting PSCORE by creating a PSCORE Club. In your club, you could discuss North Korean issues with friends, family, neighbors or politicians. You might also want to organize campaigns, protests, petitions and fundraising related to North Korean people’s rights at your school, your workplace or in your community. Your activities should help raising awareness in your community about North Korean defectors’ situation, put the International Community under pressure to pay more attention to the violations of Human Rights taking place in North Korea and gather monetary and non-monetary donations to help provide defectors with the well-being they rightfully deserve.
You can really encourage an increase of the international participation in the fight for Human Rights in North Korea through your PSCORE Club. We will provide you with the necessary material and support; you only need to bring your inspiration and creativity!
You can find some guidelines related to PSCORE club below.
If you want to create a club, please contact us!
We hope you will help PSCORE grow and raise awareness. We are looking for motivated people willing to work for the North Korean cause from their hometown. You will provide us with your inspiration and creativity; we will give you the necessary material and support. With our staff’s help, you will be able to organize events and campaigns at your school, workplace or local community and enlighten friends, neighborhood or local politicians about the horrendous situation in North Korea.
Why Should You Start a PSCORE Club?
Here are a few reasons to create a PSCORE club in your community:
- Raise awareness in your social circles about crucial issues – regarding North Korea and North Korean refugees – that often get ignored in the media.
- Contribute to a global movement advocating for human rights in North Korea and taking a public stance against the violations taking place in North Korea through activities such as campaigns, protests and/or petitions.
- Support North Korean refugees through monetary and non-monetary donations to help provide defectors with the opportunities that they rightfully deserve.
Some initial steps
1. Educate yourself on North and South Korea. Check our recommendations of books, movies and journals for more information.
2. Contact the person in charge of club membership at your school/ university/ local club and learn what steps you need to take to be recognized as an official club (this status often offers you certain privileges like use of photocopiers, space and sometimes even a monetary budget!)
3. Create a plan. What type of projects would you like to start? Are you interested in holding campaigns, fundraising, writing letters? Don’t feel pressured to realize them all. Choose one activity that interests your group and pursue that goal!
4. Promote! Get the word out about the exciting opportunity to become part of positive change. (Email PSCORE to get some material)
Raising awareness about the North Korean situation is the most valuable thing you could do to help. Read up on the human rights abuses committed every day in North Korea and the important distinction between the North Korean government and the suffering North Korean people, make use of the suggested reading materials and resources available on PSCORE website, and let others know about it. Don’t hesitate to contact us for any material, information leaflets or advice you may need to carry out your campaign.
Have fun and do good! Brainstorm on fun ideas on raising funds for our cause, whether it is collections, concerts, performances or sponsored activities, and plan it carefully. If you decide to collect outside, make sure to keep it legal and get the necessary licenses beforehand. Concerts and performances at your schools, universities or workplace are a great way to get those around you interested whilst sharing your talent. Sponsored activities are quick and easy to organize, and you can also get your friends and family involved to help you. It can be as simple as a sponsored silence, or as daring as a sponsored bungee-jumping.
Where Does Our Money Go?
We are a nonprofit organization, so the money you raise and donate is wisely and well used. Every penny raised helps us work towards our vision: to put an end to the human rights violations taken place in North Korea. Your support helps us to develop a well-integrated North Korean community within South Korea through mentoring, advocacy and awareness campaigns about North Korean human rights.